Stories of the heroes of ancient Greece, told in fine poetic prose. Includes accounts of Perseus who slew Medusa the Gorgon, Jason who sought the Golden Fleece, and Theseus who slew the Minotaur. By preserving the Greek spirit in the retelling of these myths, author Charles Kingsley gives us plain strength and seriousness, courage, steadfastness, and beauty. Dozens of attractive illustrations by T. H. Robinson enliven the text.
The publisher, Yesterday's Classics, has been carefully selecting for republication the best of the children's books first published a century ago when a Christian worldview and high standards of literary excellence were the norm. Only books that
- incorporate text of high literary quality,
- use story to engage the reader,
- cultivate the moral imagination,
- awaken an interest in the out of doors,
- furnish heroes worthy of emulation, and
- stimulate powers of observation
meet their standards for selection.
Ages 9-12213 pp., Soft cover, illustrated